Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Who Am I and What's My Future

I used to be considered as a shy person who didn’t really talk that much, but now most of my friends and the people I’m close to see me as this sarcastic and somewhat outgoing character. When I just turned sixteen, I had the feeling that the day of my birthday would be the start of a new life and some big changes. All throughout my life, I had experienced some huge changes. I live with my mother, grandmother, and stepfather. My father died when I was about three months old and my uncle had always been my father figure for about twelve years. My mother married to my stepfather when I was 13 years old and I was excited on the day of the wedding because it was the first time I tried on makeup and designing my own matron-of-honor and bridesmaid’s dress. When my mother had to go to work, my grandmother would always watch over me and keep me company. My grandmother mostly raised me at home and my mother helped me in terms of school and other extracurricular activities. I even remember that my grandmother taught me how to write in print and in cursive when I was about two years old, since she used to be a kindergarten and pre-school teacher. My stepfather is what I consider a “handy-man”. He is always working on something to improve our house and has a career in construction management. In the future, I want to have a career in graphic designing, animation, and/or anything else in the art field. I have been taking art classes that showed me some drawing skills, painting skills, animating skills, and other crafty skills. Last summer I attended to a summer arts program at the California Institute of the Arts, which is very difficult to get in, since I had to compete with high school students in California and all over the world. This program guaranteed that I had the foundation that I can use for college and my future career. It was a whole month of being on my own and my mother missed me so much that she called me almost once or twice a week. My grandmother and my cousin teased her, since she saw the youth usher board of our church walk down the aisle after prayer and offering, and she cried because I wasn’t there. I knew then that my mother wasn’t ready to let me go yet, and when I came back home, she hugged me real tight, knowing that she really missed me. After high school, wherever I go to college and start my career, I will always remember my family and my childhood memories, and I will make sure that I will never lose touch with the people I am close to.

No comments:

Post a Comment