Monday, October 25, 2010

Two People of Different Interests and Background

Two people of different interests and backgrounds could become unlikely allies like a male or a female could become unlikely friends. It's the opposite attraction that makes two completely different people come together. Two people with different backgrounds and interest have more things or options they can explore and eventually find something in common. Otherwise, people who are the same can get bored with each other and end up separating in the long run. When I travelled to Australia and New Zealand this past summer, I hanged around my fellow delegates that had a different background from me. One was Japanese; the other was Korean; and the last one was Chinese. The four of us clicked very well and on every trip we would always make goofy jestures and laugh hysterically on random thoughts. After the last day, we all contacted each other through Facebook and email reflecting on all the adventures we had and complaining on the college process for senior year. On the trip, I didn't hang out mostly with African Americans not because I don't like them but the fact that I knew I would bore myself with conversations I have similarly heard back at home and City Honors. Working or hanging around with different people expands your knowledge of certain cultures or interests and brings around more connecions outside your usual home area. Hanging around the three Asians at Australia and New Zealand allowed me to learn different games and even helpful tips for applying to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment